Common Poisons For Pets: What To Look Out For

One of the most common pet emergencies at any time of year is the ingestion of toxic substances. As a result, it is important that pet owners know what items can potentially be poisonous for their dogs and cats so that they can prevent them from coming into contact with them.


Many common household items and plants can be toxic to our pets. In addition to this, many of our favorite foods and drinks are potentially poisonous to our pets as well. As a result, it is always important that you check to see if an item is toxic before having it or using it around your pet.


In this article we will be listing all of the common foods, plants, and household items that can be toxic to our pets. In addition to this, we will be briefly describing the symptoms of poisoning in pets that pet owners should look out for and when you should call a vet about this emergency. Let’s get into it.


Common Household Items That Can Be Poisonous For Pets

There are many household items that can potentially be toxic to our dogs and cats, and they should all be safely locked away as a result. Generally, if it could be poisonous to you, it could be poisonous to your pet in this case. Here is a list of things that you should definitely keep away from your pets.


  • Insecticides and rodenticides
  • Harsh cleaning products such as bleach
  • Glue
  • Paint and paint thinner
  • Over the counter medications
  • Human prescription medications
  • Prescription veterinary medications, even if it is for your pet


A basic rule of thumb to follow is if it could be dangerous if you eat something (or too much of something like a medication) then it should be kept away from your pet. This is because dogs and cats can easily ingest these dangerous substances. In addition to this, if any product says keep out of reach of children on the box then it is safest to keep out of reach of our pets as well.

Common Household Plants That Can Be Poisonous For Pets

Although this may be surprising to some pet owners, many of our favorite plants in our gardens and homes can actually be toxic to dogs and cats. This includes many species of flowers and decorative plants that we know and love. Here is a short list of plants that should be kept away from our pets.


  • Lilies
  • Tulips
  • Daffodils
  • Marijuana
  • Lavender
  • English ivy
  • Chrysanthemums
  • Azaleas
  • Oleander


It is important to note that there are billions of plants on the planet, and some of them may be toxic to dogs and/or cats. As a result, it is always best to check and make sure a plant is not toxic before bringing them into your home and around your pet. In addition to this, you may want to keep your dog or cat away from your garden if possible as well when planting potentially toxic plants.

Dog digging in garden


Common Foods That Can Be Poisonous For Pets

In addition to common household items and plants, many of our favorite foods can be toxic to our dogs and cats. Unfortunately, this includes more foods than just chocolate and alcohol. Here is a list of foods that you should keep away from your pets and could potentially cause poisoning when eaten.


  • Grapes and raisins
  • Chocolate
  • Caffeinated drinks
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Alcohol
  • Raw yeast and bread doughs
  • Onions
  • Garlic
  • Avocados


In addition to the list of toxic foods above, there are some other foods that are almost sure to give our pets an upset stomach, especially when eaten in high amounts. As a result, you may also want to keep salty foods, fried foods, dairy products, raw eggs and meat, and animal bones away from your pet as well. This is because these foods can still make your pets sick, even if they cannot potentially poison them.

Dog giving paw asking for chocolate

Signs Of Poisoning In Pets

There are some signs of poisoning in pets that every pet owner should be aware of. It is a good idea to know the signs of poisoning in pets before an emergency occurs because knowing these signs beforehand allows pet owners to react quickly if this kind of emergency does occur. Luckily, the signs of poisoning in dogs and cats are generally the same. Here are the signs of poisoning in our pets that pet owners should look out for.


  • Vomiting and diarrhea
  • Excessive drooling
  • Muscle tremors and difficulty walking
  • Being non responsive
  • Seizures
  • Collapse
  • Low heart rate
  • Low breathing rate and having a difficulty breathing
  • Excessive thirst
  • Signs of liver or kidney failure


As you can probably imagine, these symptoms can be pretty frightening to witness in your pet. In the event that your pet does show signs of poisoning it is important to remain calm and call your closest emergency veterinarian or poison control. This way you will be able to react to the emergency quickly and effectively.

When To Call A Vet

Poisoning is an incredibly dangerous and life threatening condition in pets. As a result, pet owners should call their vet as soon as possible if their pet eats something that is potentially poisonous to them, even if they are not yet showing signs of poisoning. This is because acting quickly could potentially save your pet’s life, and signs of poisoning in pets can take a long time to develop in some cases. Similarly, you should call your vet immediately if your pet is showing signs of poisoning, even if you are unsure about what they have ingested.

If your regular vet is closed or if you do not think that they will be able to react to this emergency quickly, then calling an emergency vet or poison control may be a better option. It is important to remember to remain calm during emergencies like these and to follow instructions given to you by professionals exactly. This will potentially save your pet’s life in the event of poisoning.